Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information and offers.
The American Express® Business Gold Card has been around for several years, but it’s recently gotten a refresh. With new bonus categories, higher earnings on Amex Travel purchases, and up to $395 in annual statement credits, there are plenty of reasons to add the card to your wallet. Enrollment is required for select benefits. And that’s not even counting the value you’ll get from the welcome bonus.
Note that the current annual fee is $295 (see rates and fees) and will increase to $375 on Feb. 1, 2024. However, if you apply between now and Jan. 31, 2024, you’ll pay the lower annual fee for your first year.
Here’s what you need to know about the value you can get from the newly refreshed Amex Business Gold.
Amex Business Gold welcome offer
As a new Amex Business Gold applicant, you’ll get 70,000 bonus Membership Rewards points after spending $10,000 on your card within the first three months of card membership. TPG values Membership Rewards points at 2 cents each, making this bonus worth $1,400.
Note that this card is subject to Amex’s once-per-lifetime rule, so only those who have never held the card before are eligible for the bonus.
The Amex Business Gold lets you earn 4 points per dollar on your top two spending categories each billing cycle. Amex will automatically determine your top two categories of business spending every month by using all posted account transactions that fall into the six categories (listed below):
- Transit purchases, including trains, taxicabs, rideshare services, ferries, tolls, parking, buses and subways
- U.S. purchases made from electronic goods retailers, and software and cloud system providers
- Monthly wireless telephone service charges made directly from a wireless telephone service provider in the U.S.
- U.S. purchases at gas stations
- U.S. purchases at restaurants, including takeout and delivery
- Purchases at U.S. media providers for advertising in select media (online, TV, radio)
You’ll earn bonus points on the first $150,000 in combined spending in your top two categories annually. If you can maximize this bonus earning on the full $150,000 in these categories, you’ll earn a whopping 600,000 bonus points each year, worth $12,000 according to our valuations.
Beyond these bonus categories, you’ll earn 3 points per dollar on flights, prepaid hotels and prepaid flight + hotel packages booked through Amex Travel as well as 1 point per dollar on all other purchases.
Related: Amex Gold vs. Amex Business Gold
In addition to its business-friendly bonus categories, the Amex Business Gold comes with these benefits:
- Up to $240 in statement credits annually ($20 back per month) for eligible purchases at FedEx, Grubhub and office supply stores
- Up to $155 in statement credits annually for a monthly Walmart+ membership
- Business tools like year-end summaries, auto-expense categorization in Intuit QuickBooks and a complimentary Vendor Pay by Bill.com membership
Enrollment is required.
- Access to The Hotel Collection
- Access to Amex Offers
- Cellphone protection**
- Travel protections, including baggage insurance,* trip delay insurance** and car rental insurance***
- Extended warranty*
- Purchase protection*
If you can maximize the up to $395 in annual statement credits, this benefit alone will more than justify the card’s annual fee (currently $295 and increasing to $375 on Feb. 1, 2024, see rates and fees).
*Eligibility and benefit level varies by card. Terms, conditions and limitations apply. Visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for details. Policies are underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company.
**Eligibility and benefit level varies by card. Terms, conditions and limitations apply. Visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for details. Policies are underwritten by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company.
***Eligibility and benefit level varies by card. Not all vehicle types or rentals are covered, and geographic restrictions apply. Terms, conditions and limitations apply. Visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for details. Policies are underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company. Coverage is offered through American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc.
The Amex Business Gold is a great option for small-business owners who want to earn tons of valuable Membership Rewards points. It comes with a high welcome bonus, adaptive bonus categories and valuable benefits that earn it a gold star for simplicity and value. However, business owners who cannot maximize the benefits or who want to keep their annual fee costs low may want to opt for another of our favorite business credit cards.
For more details, please see our full review of the Amex Business Gold.
Apply here: Amex Business Gold
For rates and fees of the Amex Business Gold Card, please click here.